Last week, city council member Ed Schreiber posted a response on his Facebook page about the council’s decision to reinstate Janelle Howard to her position of City Manager after she was charged for shoplifting at Fred Meyer last August.
This was not the first time she had done this, and had the exact situation, shoplifting and being fired from her city job in Coos Bay some years ago.
As a voter, taxpayer, and citizen of Brookings, I commented on my opinion in Ed’s post. I was not rude and didn’t even use Janelle’s name in my comment. I basically stated that it appeared the council was in a bind to rehire her because she knew there wasn’t a morals clause in her contract and the city council didn’t want to face litigation over this if she were fired, and then have to pay her as Coos Bay did.
Ed decided to delete not only my comment, but others who weren’t supportive of his statement, which he wrote that he was speaking on behalf of all members who voted to reinstate Ms. Howard.
Well, I’m not going to just go away because Ed can control the narrative on his social media page. I will not only vote against anyone running for reelection that reinstated a repeat offender, but I will also sign a recall petition for them if it circulates.
Ed, you can delete comments, but you can’t silence voters. Shame on you. As I see it, Janelle knows how to play this game because she did this previously. I’d have more respect if someone just came out and stated that instead of pretending that rehiring her is ok because of an apology. I’m embarrassed I voted for some of the sitting council members. Never again.
Welcome to the discussion.
1. Be Civil. No bullying, name calling, or insults.
2. Keep it Clean and Be Nice. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
3. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
4. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
5. Be Proactive. Let us know of abusive posts. Multiple reports will take a comment offline.
6. Stay On Topic. Any comment that is not related to the original post will be deleted.
7. Abuse of these rules will result in the thread being disabled, comments denied, and/or user blocked.
8. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.