Curry County Public Health Administrator Sherrié Ward considers the county a low risk for the novel coronavirus. This comes on the heels of the first presumptive case in neighboring Del Norte County.
“If we receive notification of any confirmed cases, we will notify the public immediately by press release and social media,” said Ward. “People could take precautionary measures and monitor themselves and watch for symptoms if they are concerned for their health.”
According to Ward, the public should be diligent and wash their hands often and call their healthcare provider if they have concerns about their health, especially coughs, difficulty breathing and fever.
People with concerns are advised to call their doctor first instead of visiting the clinic or hospital, and follow up as instructed by their primary care physician.
Ward said people should familiarize themselves with the fact sheets and other information available to them on the county’s website. The website links directly to the Oregon Health Authority and is continuously updated.
The Oregon Health Authority suggestions on how to monitor for symptoms would be:
• Check your temperature each morning and evening. Check your temperature with a digital thermometer the same way every day, at about the same time. Do not let anyone else use the thermometer during this period.
• Monitor yourself for a cough or difficulty breathing.
If you are concerned:
• Avoid travel via public transportation (no airplanes, ships, buses, trams, or trains).
• Stay home from work and school.
• Avoid having people (e.g., friends, family, coworkers) over to your home.
• Avoid public places or activities that bring you in close contact, within 6 feet of others.
• If your temperature is above 100°F at any time, or you get a cough or difficulty breathing:
• Cover your cough and avoid direct contact with household members and others.
• Contact your local healthcare provider immediately if you have any concerns.
In Oregon, for general information on the novel coronavirus call 211. The Curry County Public Health Department web page is on the county site at www.co.curry.or.us.