Efforts to improve traffic safety along Chetco Avenue in Brookings are underway, following citizen concerns and action by the Brookings City Council.
Brookings Public Works Tony Baron outlined a report about the concerns during a Brookings City Council meeting Monday, March 13. Baron said his office has received complaints regarding pedestrian safety, vehicle speed and lack of safe parking along Chetco Avenue.
During Baron’s presentation to councilors, he explained the request would involve the following:
• Eliminate on street parking in order to accommodate center turn lanes at intersections and provide enhanced visibility at crosswalks.
• Eliminate all left turns except at Oak and Center streets where traffic signaling will offer safe left turns.
• Enhance pedestrian crossings at Fern Avenue, Willow Street and Mill Street/ Hillside intersections.
On a unanimous vote, the Brookings City Council has requested that the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) complete street an enhancement analysis along Checto Avenue (US Highway 101) between Oak Street and Pacific Avenue. The request excluded option A which eliminates all on-street parking between Oak and Pacific.
The cost for the ODOT analysis has yet to be determined.
Baron’s presentation included information from ODOT Region 3, which recommends two full lanes in each direction, through the downtown core. ODOT further notes traffic on both Chetco and Railroad Avenues will significantly increase during the peak summer season.
Welcome to the discussion.
1. Be Civil. No bullying, name calling, or insults.
2. Keep it Clean and Be Nice. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
3. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
4. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
5. Be Proactive. Let us know of abusive posts. Multiple reports will take a comment offline.
6. Stay On Topic. Any comment that is not related to the original post will be deleted.
7. Abuse of these rules will result in the thread being disabled, comments denied, and/or user blocked.
8. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.