By Boyd C. Allen

Pilot Staff Writer

Portland area Deputy District Attorney Amanda Dresen faces charges of fourth-degree assault, harassment and strangulation for allegedly attacking and choking a 13-year-old Curry County boy May 26.

Curry County District Attorney Everett Dial charged Dresen with the three misdemeanors June 5, according to court documents.

Curry County sheriff’s deputies arrested Dresen May 27, a day after she allegedly assaulted the 13-year-old at a family gathering on Winchuck River Road.

Dial recently met with the alleged victim and his parents in order to get the boy’s “side of the story” and make sure he was comfortable moving forward, according to the boy’s mother, Brittany Vanderhoof.

According to Oregon statutes, fourth-degree assault is a misdemeanor charged when someone intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causes physical injury to another.

The harassment charge is based on subjecting the victim to offensive physical contact.

Statutes define strangulation as impeding normal breathing and circulation of blood by applying pressure to the neck and throat.

According to the DA’s office, Dresen was arraigned on the charges June 11 in Gold Beach. She was represented by attorney Ben Eder of Portland who attended via telephone, which was approved by Dial.

Dresen’s next court appearance will be at 9 a.m. Tuesday, July 10, for what the case file describes as a plea change.

The file notes she will appear in person, “defendant must be booked by July 10.”

If she pleads not guilty at that time, a date will be set for trial, the DA’s office said.

Vanderhoof, said, “My son is 13 years old and was choked with his airway cut-off by an adult,” she said. “He had marks on his neck and body.”

She said her son was at a family reunion, although he was not a member of the family, at a Dresen family residence on the Winchuck River.

According to his mother, he said it was about 9:30 p.m. and he was getting ready to leave when Dresen asked her brother, Nick, to let her talk to two boys about their attitudes about women.

She then asked for a couple more minutes, and during that time, according to Vanderhoof, her son said he was attacked twice.

The first time, he was able to get back up. But, the second time, he said, she had his throat so tightly that he couldn’t move and he was choking.

No one from the Dresen family has reached out to Vanderhof or her son, she added, and she has not talked with Amanda Dresen.

Amanda Dresen did not respond to requests for comment on the incident.

The Yamhill County District Attorney’s office said Dresen was currently out of the office and did not respond to questions as to her status or requests for comment.

Vanderhoof said she and her husband had retained Attorney John Babin of Brookings as an advisor.

“We are not familiar with the legal system,” she said. “We feel powerless and an attorney can get copies of police reports and documents and explain them to us.”

She said they currently have no plans for legal action beyond that.

The alleged victim was out of school for a about two weeks, according to Vanderhoof, but he returned for his finals, and he will be travelling for the summer.

Reach Boyd C. Allen at .