Masons move memorial monument

By The Curry Coastal Pilot March 28, 2014 07:44 pm

Joel Reich, left, Steve Mathis, Ernie Turner and Mike Cover stand around memorial now at Sydney Croft Masonic Lodge on Azalea Park Road.

A 1,500 pound red granite stone that has been on the corner of Shopping Center Avenue and Zimmerman Lane since the early 1970s has found a new home.

 

This is the second time the monument has been moved since it was created in 1947.

Members of Sydney Croft Masonic Lodge 206 of Brookings met in February at the Chetco Grange Community Center in Harbor to move the monument, which honors Sydney N. Croft. It is now in front of the building that bears his name at 416 Azalea Park Road.

Croft was a past master of Golden West Lodge 153 in Langlois and the originator of the Croft lily. This lily is also known worldwide as the Easter lily.

It is said that this stone was designed in 1947 by Alta Nelson, a local school student.

It was commissioned by May Stafford. The Staffords were a pioneer family and were lily growers. The stone was placed on their property, which was just below what is now the Shell station on Highway 101.

When the highway was widened in 1972, it was moved to the front of the Grange Hall.

Stafford was the aunt of Doyle Rausch a member of Sydney Croft Lodge.

Members of both the Grange and Masons believed that it would be better served if it had a more visible location.

 

With the help of Terry Parks, of Terry’s Torch and Toolbox, and his boom truck, the monument was moved.