RV park blaze guts motorhome

By Scott Graves, Pilot staff writer February 26, 2013 08:36 pm

A Harbor resident is without his home but alive after a fire gutted the inside of his motorhome early Sunday morning at Harbor RV Park on Benham Lane.

Philip Hayes, a relatively new resident to the park, had just turned on the propane in his motorhome to supply a water heater when the gas ignited and started a fire, said Harbor Fire Department Chief John Brazil.

Harbor volunteer firefighters responded to the 7:30 a.m. call within five minutes and were able to keep the fire from escaping the motorhome and spreading to nearby trailers and motorhomes, Brazil said.

“It could have been a lot worse; those units are so close together,” he said.

Six firefighters and one engine responded to the blaze. An engine and several firefighters from the Brookings Fire Department were on standby to help if needed, Brazil said.