North of Brookings is a state highway the provides access to many homes and serves as a scenic alternative to Highway 101.

Carpenterville Road, as it is most commonly known, has officially been Oregon Highway 255 since 2003. There are no trailblazers along the road and, unlike how it is commonly known, is signed Carpenterville Highway. It still uses the original Highway 101 mileposts.

The road was originally U.S. Highway 101 and climbs to an elevation of 1,720 feet. At the summit was the town of Carpenterville, which bears the highways namesake.

The town site is 16 miles north of Brookings. All that remains of the community is a historic sign carved in wood that was placed by the Cape Sebastian chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Curry County Historical Society.

According to the historical society, D. W. Carpenter and his family settled in the area in 1921. The family ran a sawmill that produced lumber for fences.

The Carpenterville post office was established in 1932 and named for the Carpenter family. In 1940, Carpenterville’s population was 35. The post office closed in 1944.

When Carpenterville was still on the main route of the Oregon Coast Highway, there was a public school, a store, tourist cabins, and a lodge — the Skyline Lodge and Restaurant.

Highway 101 was rebuilt in 1961 along its current alignment, which was the beginning of the end of Carpenterville. Soon the lodge was torn down and, by 1970, the town was gone, although the US Geological Survey still classifies Carpenterville as a populated place.

Carpenterville Road begins north of Brookings and continues for 23 miles, ending just south of Pistol River.

Although Carpenterville Road ends at this point, Oregon 255 continues north. The highway shares the pavement with 101 around the community of Pistol River then follows Meyers Creek Road and ends at the top of Cape Sebastian.

19120912