By Josh Bronson

Pilot staff writer

In a frustrating game for Bruin fans, the Brookings-Harbor High School football team got outhustled and outmanned by the Del Norte Warriors in a 48-12 loss Friday night.

andquot;That's not the type of game I thought we'd see,andquot; Coach Jim Keys said. andquot;I was shocked to see them do that to our defense.andquot;

The Warriors were able to dominate the Bruin defense in the first half, both on the ground and in the air.

If the Warriors weren't plowing through the Bruin line, they were picking apart the Bruin secondary.

On the first possession of the game, the Warriors quickly marched their way down field on a 30-yard run by Trevor Rook and a 29-yard pass from Chad Freeman to Saxon Schultz.

Freeman then punched it in from the 3-yard line for the first score of the game. James Sampier's extra point attempt was good and the Warriors went up 7-0.

The night started off rough for the Bruin offense as they fumbled away the ball on their first play.

But the Bruin defense stepped up on this drive and drove the Warriors back.

On first down, Mike Klein hit the running back behind the line of scrimmage for a loss of three.

Then on 3-and-12, Seth McDonald battled through his blocker and sacked Freeman with his one free hand for a loss of nine to force the punt.

The Bruin offense couldn't get going and the defense couldn't hold the Warriors again as Rook ran for a 43-yard touchdown on the Warriors first play of the next drive. Sampier's kick was good for the 14-0 lead.

After the Bruins gained their first first down of the game, quarterback AJ Weber threw an interception to Schultz who ran in back 45 yards for the Warriors third touchdown of the first quarter. The extra point attempt was no good and the Warriors led 20-0.

In the second quarter, the Bruins went to the stack offense and started to pound the ball up the middle with Nick Morris.

Morris and the Bruins gained three first downs before fumbling the ball and turning it back over to the Warriors.

The Warriors took advantage of the field position as Freeman threw a screen pass to Cody Hoffman who broke several tackles and went 40 yards for the touchdown. Sampier's kick was successful for the 27-0 lead.

With five minutes left in the half, the Bruins finally got on the board.

Weber started off the drive with a quarterback keeper that he ran for 12 yards and then got an extra 15 yards for a personal foul committed by the Warriors.

On the next play, Weber went to run the option again, but had to improvise and threw a screen pass to Morris who got some great blocks from his teammates and motored his way 47 yards and into the end zone. The Bruins extra point failed as they trailed 27-6.

The Warriors struck two more times before the end of the half.

First, Freeman found Taylor Duncan in the end zone for a 12-yard touchdown pass and then Rook scored his second touchdown of the night on a 55-yard scamper to put the Warriors up 41-6 at the half.

In the second half, the Bruins were able to stop the bleeding and hold their own.

andquot;What I'm proud of is that they came out at half and handled themselves well and held their own,andquot; Keys said.

After Joseph Alexander scored the final touchdown for the Warriors, the Bruins were finally able to move the ball at the start of the fourth quarter.

David Marrington gave the Bruins possession as he recovered a fumble on defense.

Trying desperately to make something happen, the Bruins went for it on 4-and-10 from the 38-yard line, and after shrugging off a number of tacklers, Weber was able to scramble for 13 yards and the first down.

Evan Peterson ran the ball up the middle for five yards and then Klein powered his way through the Warrior defense from the 15-yard line and into the end zone. The Bruins missed their second extra point on the night and made the final score 48-12.

andquot;This game didn't really count for anything,andquot; Keys said. andquot;Now we have three weeks to get ready for league and we just try and work things out.andquot;

Weber and Morris led the Bruins in the run attack.

On defense, Marrington and Klein led the defense from the linebacker position with help from Morris and Tyler Parke.

Mike Althof, McDonald and Neil Watson also made some nice tackles up front.

In the JV game, the undersized an much younger Bruin squad suffered the same fate as they also fell to the Warriors by a score of 35-18.

After the Warriors scored on a pass touchdown in the first quarter, the Bruins answered back with a 5-yard touchdown run by Daniel Grubb.

But the Bruins couldn't convert on the 2-point attempt and trailed 7-6.

At the end of the first half, the Warriors struck again to take a 13-6 lead.

In the third quarter, the Warriors exploded for three touchdown and blew the game wide open with a 35-6 lead.

But the resilient Bruins fought back in the fourth quarter, sparked by a fumble recovery by Joey LaThorpe.

After a 14-yard run by Dustin Paradis, LaThorpe three a 33-yard touchdown pass to Wolfgang Jacques who scampered in for the Bruins first touchdown of the quarter.

With under two minutes to play, Matt Patten recovered a fumble at the 5-yard line to prevent the Warriors from scoring again.

LaThorpe and Jacques hooked up again, this time for a 95-yard touchdown.

On defense, Paradis and Grubb led the way for the Bruins along with big hits from Tony Verdugo and Eli Bruce.

The next game for the varsity Bruins in a home game against Phoenix on Friday, Sept. 14 @ 7p.m.