By Josh Bronson

Pilot staff writer

For the fifth straight game, the Brookings-Harbor High School girls' soccer team shut out their opponents in a 5-0 win over the Douglas Trojans Monday.

The Bruin defense allowed only two shots on goal for the entire game as the Bruins extended their shutout streak to over 440 straight minutes.

andquot;Our kids played hard,andquot; Coach Paul Angove said. andquot;We wear teams down because we're the first to every ball and we play so hard and smart.andquot;

The scoring began early for the Bruins as Jessie Goergen tapped home a ball that deflected off of teammate Ally Manley to take a quick 1-0 lead within the first minute of play.

andquot;I thought they might get complacent after scoring so quickly, but they didn't,andquot; Angove said. andquot;They (Douglas) played us much tougher than last time.andquot;

With under 10 minutes left in the half, the Bruins were issued a penalty kick for a hand ball in the box that Goergen converted for the 2-0 lead.

In the second half, Jillian McCool fought through a horde of Trojan defenders and found an open Ashley Juarez who fired the ball along the ground and into the bottom corner for a 3-0 lead.

Juarez extended her goal- scoring streak to an impressive nine straight games.

Midway through the second half, Goergen stopped, turned and rifled a shot from the top of the penalty box into the opposite corner to complete the hat trick for the afternoon.

The goal was Goergen's 13th of the year and her fourth multiple-goal game this season.

The final Bruin goal was scored by Kayla Hamm, her first of the year, as she punched home a loose ball after a corner kick by McCool to make the final score 5-0.

Another outstanding performance by the Bruin midfield and defense allowed goalie Ellen Stadelman to record her seventh shutout of the year.

The next game for the Bruins (9-0) is a big one as they travel to Glide to take on the Wildcats today (Oct. 10) at 4:30 p.m.

Glide has won six games in a row, with their only loss of the year coming at the hands of the Bruins back on Sept. 18, in the third contest of the year.