By Josh Bronson

Pilot staff writer

The Brookings-Harbor High School football team continued to have trouble finding the end zone as they were shut out by the defending 4A State Champion Siuslaw Vikings in a 34-0 loss.

For the second time this year, the Bruins were blanked by their opponents and have only managed to score 60 points all year, the sixth fewest in the state at the 4A level.

andquot;It's frustrating for everybody,andquot; Coach Jim Keys said. andquot;It seems like we haven't been able to find 11 players who can keep things together for more than a few plays. But we're going to stick with it and figure it out.andquot;

Despite the struggling offense, the Bruin defense continues to show signs of brilliance, playing tough until brief mental lapses allow a big play to break.

andquot;We just have to believe in ourselves and want to win those games,andquot; Keys said.

On the Bruins' second possession of the game, AJ Weber and Tyler Parke were able to rush for first downs as the Bruins began to move the ball down field, but a fumble halted their progress and turned the ball back over to the Vikings.

The Bruin defense was able to hang with Siuslaw for a majority of the first quarter until the Vikings' Tyler Mais was able to punch in a 1-yard score with only 30 seconds left in the quarter. Zach Laxague converted the extra point for a 7-0 lead.

The Vikings scored twice more before the half, with Jacob Mitchell finding Anthoney Robinson for a 32-yard touchdown pass along with a 10-yard run by Julian Laney.

After the Vikings scored again on their opening drive in the third quarter, Andrew Tuttle was able to block the extra point to keep the score at 27-0.

Tuttle then returned the ensuing kick-off all the way down the 23-yard line, giving the Bruins their best field position on the night.

After a sack and a penalty, Weber hit Andrew North with a 12-yard pass on fourth down, but the completion fell 5 yards short and the Bruins turned the ball over.

The Bruin defense came up with another stop as they broke up the option and David Marrington pounced on the ball for the Bruins.

But it was three-and-out for the Bruins and the Vikings turned around and scored their final touchdown of the game as Mitchell found Robinson again for a 20-yard touchdown and a 34-0 advantage.

On the Bruins first drive of the fourth quarter, the offense came alive for a moment, with Weber connecting on passes of 13 and 14 yards to Parke and Tuttle.

Nick Morris also had a big 17-yard dash up the middle of the field before he was pulled down.

Morris led the Bruins with 57 yards rushing while Marrington had 19 yards.

Weber had one of his better passing games with four completions for 49 yards to four different Bruins.

On defense, Tuttle, Weber, Parke and Mike Althof all came up with big hits on the night.

The next game for the Bruins (1-1, 2-4) is an away game against the North Bend Bulldogs on Friday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m.

On Wednesday evening, everything clicked just right for the JV football squad as they toppled the Vikings 26-12 in Florence.

andquot;They all played very well,andquot; Coach Donnie Gallian said. andquot;They came to play right from the opening kickoff.andquot;

The Bruins struck first as quarterback Eli Bruce hit Martin Robic with a 35-yard touchdown pass. Bruce ran in the two-point conversion to take an early 8-0 lead.

Later in the half, Bruce scampered for a 40-yard touchdown run as the Bruins took a 14-6 lead into halftime.

In the second half, Dustin Paradis scored the third Bruin touchdown on the day as he ran it in from 30 yards out.

Bruce threw his second touchdown pass on the evening later in the half as he found Paradis for a 35-yard touchdown and a 26-12 advantage.

Ray Mazyck sealed the deal for the Bruins as he grabbed a late interception to secure the win.

The next game for the JV Bruins is on Thursday, Oct. 18 against North Bend at home at 5 p.m.