By Josh Bronson

Pilot staff writer

The Brookings-Harbor High School wrestling team dropped their final three matches of the night as the Douglas Trojans surged to a 45-34 win over the Bruins in a Far West League dual meet Wednesday evening.

Once again, the Bruins were bit by the injury bug as they lost senior Joel Mitts to a dislocated shoulder in his 189-pound match against Jim Davison.

During a tie-up with Davison, the two wrestlers crashed to the mat, but Mitts took the brunt of the fall on his shoulder, separating it and forcing him to forfeit the match.

andquot;We just haven't had much luck this year with healthiness and consistency with our lineup,andquot; Coach Dave Freeman said. andquot;Hopefully, nobody else will get hurt in the next couple of weeks before districts.andquot;

The critical loss to Mitts put the momentum in favor of the Trojans as they went on to win the 215- and 285-pound weight classes for the dual meet victory.

andquot;We just really need to step it up for the district meet,andquot; Freeman said. andquot;We still have a chance. Other teams go through these same things.andquot;

The Bruins have one more tournament and one more dual meet before they get a week of rest for the district tournament on Friday and Saturday, Feb. 8 and 9.

On Wednesday, junior Ray Mazyck had another stellar performance against a highly ranked opponent.

Just days after Mazyck beat previously undefeated Johnny Campbell of Myrtle Point to claim the title at the Reedsport Invitational, Mazyck used a 5-3 overtime victory to down David Yecha, who was the fifth ranked wrestler at the 4A level, in their 119-pound match.

After the second period, Mazyck trailed 3-2, but tied up the match as he escaped from the bottom with just 35 seconds left in regulation.

In overtime, the two grapplers were locked in what appeared to be a stalemate, as neither wrestler could step behind their opponent to score the takedown.

But after a quick scramble, Mazyck rolled Yecha over, winding up on top for the dramatic victory.

The Bruins then lost the next three matches to the Trojans by pin.

At 125 pounds, the Bruins' Ian Mjelde was pinned by Trinity Castner in 3:42.

Brock Bristow was then pinned in 2:56 by Derek Findlay in their 130-pound match.

In the 135-pound division, Dustin Paradis registered the first takedown of the match before being turned and pinned in 3:07 by Douglas' Tyson Dahl.

Senior Willie Bennett turned things around for the Bruins as he pinned Logan Moore in 1:57 of their 140-pound bout.

After a deadlocked 0-0 first period, the Bruins' 152-pounder, Cody Miller, scored a second-period takedown, but the Trojans' Jason Childs escaped on two different occasions to tie the match at 2-2 after the second period.

Miller started the third period on the bottom and used a quick switch to take a 4-2 lead and then held Childs down for the rest of the period to earn the win.

At 160 pounds, Evan Peterson put up a good fight against Jacob Neilsen of Douglas, but was pinned in the third period at 5:03.

The Bruins' Denny Davis looked in good form as he cruised to a 16-0 technical fall victory over A.J. Sewell.

Davis was able to turn Sewell and put his back to the mat on three different occasions, but was unable to pin his opponent and just racked up the points instead.

After Mitts got injured in the 189-pound weight class, Mike Althof lost a tight 5-2 decision to Andrew Neilsen at 215 pounds.

In the final match of the night, Mike Klein took a quick 2-0 advantage as he registered an early takedown on Joe Dubie in their heavyweight bout.

But after the takedown, Dubie rolled Klein and put him on his back, pinning Klein in 1:16.

The Bruins also received forfeits at 112 pounds with Aaron Miller and at 145 pounds with Tyler Drafahl.

Today (Jan. 26) the Bruins will be competing in the prestigious Cottage Grove tournament.

The final league dual meet for the Bruins will be on Thursday, Jan. 31 at Sutherlin.