A 12-hour police standoff with a man who barricaded himself inside a Brookings home ended at 4:18 a.m. this morning (June 15) when authorities fired tear gas canisters into the residence, stormed inside and found the suspect seriously injured from possible self-inflicted wounds.

The man, Lorenzo Ignacio King, 42, of Alaska, had lost a lost of blood and was transported by U.S. Coast Guard helicopter to a Coos Bay hospital. No officers or other people were injured in the incident, according to Curry County Sheriff John Bishop.

The standoff began at 4 p.m. when King, a suspect in a sexual assault investigation, refused to let authorities serve a search warrant and enter the house on Heather Lane.

During the confrontation, King barricade himself in a back room and threatened to kill anyone who came in to get him.

"We immediately backed off and set up a perimeter around the residence," Bishop said Saturday night, a few hours after the incident began.

Authorities closed a section of Highway 101 in the area of Heather Lane and redirecting traffic using side streets. Neighbors in homes adjacent to the suspect's residence were evacuated. Authorities attempted numerous times to contact King, but he refused to talk to anyone, Bishop said.

Bishop asked the Oregon State Police to call in a Special Weapons Team, with members traveling several hours from nearby counties.

While waiting for the team to arrive, authorities tried again, without success, to contact King.

Members of the OSP team began arriving by 9:30 p.m. and used phones and a bullhorn to talk with King, who continued to verbally threaten officers, Bishop said.

Shortly after 2 a.m., the team sent a radio-controlled robot into the home in an effort to communicate with King. When he did not respond to orders to leave the back room, officers tossed tear gas into the home, but he did not come out. At 4:18 a.m., after hearing King making gasping sounds, the team forced their way into the room. King refused to obey commands and was tazed several times and apprehended.

King was suffering from what appeared to be self-inflicted wounds and had lost a lot of blood, Bishop said.

He was taken to a waiting U.S. Coast Guard helicopter and transported to Bay Area Hospital. Cal-Or Life Flight paramedics were on board to treat King during transport.

King's condition was unknown as of 10 a.m. today.

Bishop said the investigation is continuing.

"All agencies worked extremely well together to bring this event to a close with no serious injuries to officers or citizens," he said.

Agencies involved included the Curry County Sheriff's Department, the Brookings Police Department and Oregon State Police. Brookings city employees and members of the Brookings Fire Department also contributed by overseeing traffic control and setting up equipment around the scene.