A quick response from volunteer firefighters from Harbor and Brookings is what Harbor Fire Chief John Brazil credits for saving not only the Book Dock in the Port of Brookings Harbor Saturday afternoon, but possibly all the retail shops surrounding it.

"A firefighter in the area sized up the scene, shut off the utilities, and an engine showed up in four minutes," Brazil said.

"They made an initial attack to the interior and were able to extinguish it pretty quickly. It was a good save by the guys, knocking it down as quick as they did."

Almost two dozen firefighters from Harbor and Brookings responded to the report of smoke coming from the eaves of the retail store on Lower Harbor Road. The fire was reported at 4:48 p.m. and was situated in a storage and break room corner of the store. Preliminary investigations indicate the fire might have been started by an electrical problem, Brazil said.

Owner Pat Piper could not be reached for comment.

Damage estimates, primarily to smoke and heat, have yet to be determined by insurance inspectors.

Next door is Slugs 'N' Stones 'N' Ice Cream Cones and Tradewinds Tackle stores.

Brazil said Piper left the store about a half-hour before the fire was reported; her shop-cat, Louie, had been let out for the night and is reported to be in good condition.

"This was totally unexpected," Brazil said. "Fortunately nobody was injured in the situation."