A Canadian man was in fair condition Friday after his plane crashed near the Brookings airport this week, authorities said.

Kiochi Hoshimo, 31, British Columbia and Lisa Casagrande, 26, Ontario, were flying a Cessna 172 Wednesday morning en route to Yosemite National Park from Richmond, British Columbia.

According to authorities, Hoshimo was attempting to land the aircraft at the Brookings Airport when, for an unknown reason, he decided to abort the landing.

He pulled back on the stick in an attempt to elevate the plane to avoid the tree at the north end of the runway, deputies said.

Due to wind gusts and lack of speed and altitude, the plane topped a tree and went into a nose dive. It landed upside down in an area owned by South Coast Lumber Co., near 17274 Parkview Drive, a residence owned by Kelly and Linda Dale.

Dale heard the crash, called 911 and then walked out to the site where he saw Casagrande in the bushes, said Brookings Fire Chief Bill Sharp.

Dale sent Casagrande to his home to make another 911 call to make sure rescue officials knew exactly where the plane crashed, Sharp said.

Dale then pulled Hoshimo halfway out of the plane because he was concerned about the plane catching on fire, Sharp said.

The Brookings Fire Department and Cal-Ore Life Flight Ambulance were sent to the site. There was no fire, but firefighters stood by while Hoshimo was extricated from the plane.

Hoshimo and Casagrande were wearing seatbelts, Sharp said. The couple was transported to Sutter Coast Hospital. Casagrande was treated and released.

Hoshimo was transported to Rogue Valley Medical Center in Medford, where he was being treated for head injuries and lacerations, said Leslie DeSchweinitz, of Rogue Valley Medical Center.

Sharp said the plane is probably not salvageable.

The plane was rented from Centennial Flying School in Delta, British Columbia, said Deborah Eckrope, National Transportation Safety Board investigator.

A Federal Aviation Administration investigator completed his preliminary investigation early Friday morning, Eckrope said.

The investigator will return his notes to her, she will speak with Hoshimo and then submit a report to the National Transportation Safety Board in Washington, D.C.

The board will determine the probable cause of the wreck within a few months, Eckrope said.

The plane was removed from the site Friday by HLM Services out of Independence, Eckrope said.