|OFFICIALS BLAME CANDLE IN FERN STREET HOUSE BLAZE|
|November 29, 2000 12:00 am|
Mercy Thompson told firemen that a candle fell between her wall and the back porch and set a fire that caused major damage to the back of a house at 553 Fern Street.
Brookings Fire units responded to the report of the fire at 4 p.m. Monday, Dec. 27. Thompson, 14, said two friends of hers, Larry Wenbourne, 21, and Daniel Lentz, 18, both of Harbor, were at the house and fought the blaze with wet blankets and rags.
The fire was burning too high to fight it with water, Wenbourne said. It was burning the roof.
The house is located across the street from Elmer Bankus Field, the Brookings-Harbor High School stadium. No one was injured in the blaze.